Before you begin...
Below is a front and back view of the Netopia 2241. Be certain that the Ethernet cable, phone cable, and power cable are connected properly before continuing setup.
Front Panel - Lights
Rear Panel Ports
DSL: Plug in an unfiltered phone cord.
USB: Not used.
Ethernet: Plug in an Ethernet cable.
Power: Plug in the supplied AC Adaptor.
Off/On: Turn DSL modem power off/on.
Configuring the Netopia 2241
- Browse to http://192.168.1.254.
- On the left menu, enter Expert Mode, click Configure, then Connection.
- The following settings should be configured:
- VPI: 0
- VCI: 35
- Protocol: PPPoE
- Username: Your DSL username
- Password: Your DSL password
- Connection Type: Always on
- UPnP: Checked
- Click the Save Changes button. If the connection is successful, a Connection Information page will be displayed. screenshot
- On the left menu, click Diagnostics.
- The Run Full Diagnostics button will give a full test of your DSL modem connection.
- Three additional tools are provided to troubleshoot your connection:
- Web Address: Use to test modem's ability to contact web addresses.
- NS Lookup: Use to test for DNS issues.
- Trace Route: Use to test for routing issues.
Remote Access: screenshot
- You can enable remote access to allow a TOAST.net technician to access your modem for troubleshooting or configuration. On the left menu, click Remote Access.
- Enter a remote access password if desired, then click the Enable button.
- Note the URL listed on the screen. This is the address you will need to use in a web browser to access the modem.
Using With a Router:
If you wish to use your own router, you will want to disable the router built into the Netopia 2241. Click here for information on setting the modem to bridge mode.