Some phone companies do not use PPPoE to establish a DSL connection. These instructions will allow you to turn off PPPoE on a Netopia 2241, but still leave the router and firewall intact.
Before you begin...
Below is a front and back view of the Netopia 2241. Be certain that the Ethernet cable, phone cable, and power cable are connected properly before continuing setup.
Front Panel - Lights
Rear Panel Ports
DSL: Plug in an unfiltered phone cord.
USB: Not used.
Ethernet: Plug in an Ethernet cable.
Power: Plug in the supplied AC Adaptor.
Off/On: Turn DSL modem power off/on.
Configuring the Netopia 2241
- Browse to http://192.168.1.254.
- On the left menu, enter Expert Mode, click Configure, then Connection.
- The following settings should be configured (leave any other settings default):
- VPI: 0 (Users with Embarq phone service should use 8)
- VCI: 35
- Protocol: Bridged Ethernet
- Bridge Type: Routed Bridge
- UPnP: Checked
- Click the Save Changes button. If the connection is successful, a Connection Information page will be displayed. screenshot
- On the left menu, click Diagnostics.
- The Run Full Diagnostics button will give a full test of your DSL modem connection.
- Three additional tools are provided to troubleshoot your connection:
- Web Address: Use to test modem's ability to contact web addresses.
- NS Lookup: Use to test for DNS issues.
- Trace Route: Use to test for routing issues.
Remote Access: screenshot
- You can enable remote access to allow a TOAST.net technician to access your modem for troubleshooting or configuration. On the left menu, click Remote Access.
- Enter a remote access password if desired, then click the Enable button.
- Note the URL listed on the screen. This is the address you will need to use in a web browser to access the modem.
Using With a Router:
If you wish to use your own router, you will want to disable the router built into the Netopia 2241. Click here for information on setting the modem to bridge mode.
Article ID: 223, Created: 11/23/2010 at 10:21 AM, Modified: 11/23/2010 at 10:21 AM