The Hotspot works best when connected in a coverage area with 1 or more signal bars.
To check signal bars, look at the LCD display on your Hotspot. If your Hotspot does not have an LCD display, click here for instructions.
Speed & Performance
Many factors can affect the speed of a Hotspot connection, even if the Hotspot has a strong signal to the cell tower. Here are some examples:
- an older computer/device with a slower processor
- a computer/device that is low on resources and memory, based on installed/running services.
- a computer/device that has adware/malware or a virus.
- a computer/device actively updating software (OS updates, AntiVirus, Stocks, News, Weather, Games, etc...)
- the computer/device is too far from the MiFi, even though it has a connection (needs to be within 30ft.)
Test the Speed
If the connection to the Internet from the Hotspot is working, you can test the speed by using the TOAST.net Speed Test:
For "Speed Test Type" select Text+Shuttle, and for "Speed Test Host" select MaxCDN.
We also recommend trying other Host servers (other than MaxCDN), to get an average of results. Typical speed test results range from 200Kb (good for 2G, OK for 3G) to 1100Kb (Great for 3G).
- The MiFi card relies on a signal from the outside cell tower. Placing it near or in a window may help improve or stabilize the connection.
- Try using the MiFi in different locations (windows) within your home or office. You may find that a certain location (north/south/east/west) provides the best signal quality.