The modem you received during your installation has a router built into it. If you would like to use a non AT&T supplied router to provide more capacity or better WiFi range, you'll need to adjust your AT&T modem settings:
- Open a web browser and go to the address: 192.168.1.254
Be sure you enter this address in the Address Bar, not a search bar:
- Select Firewall from the top menu, and then click IP Passthrough below it.
- You will see a screen asking for the modem's Device Access Code. This will be printed somewhere on the side of the modem (either in gray text or on a yellow sticker). Enter the code to continue.
- Next to Allocation, change the setting from Default Server to Passthough.
- Click Save to complete.
- Plug an Ethernet cable into the WAN or Internet jack on the back of your own router. Plug the other end into one of the yellow Ethernet ports on the back of your AT&T modem.
- You may need to restart your AT&T modem when complete. The modem will take up to 3 minutes to reboot fully. After rebooting your router should now work.