We understand that intermittent internet connections or complete outages can be frustrating. At times, the issue may not always stem from your internet service, but rather a specific online service might be experiencing an outage. We have included DownDetector as a resource on our support page to assist you in identifying if the issue originates from your internet service or an external online service. This article will guide you through the process of using DownDetector.
What is DownDetector?
DownDetector is a real-time outage detection website that helps identify when online services are experiencing problems. It provides up-to-the-minute updates on a broad array of services including social media platforms, banks, online retailers, gaming networks, and even ISPs like ourselves.
Why Use DownDetector?
DownDetector can help you verify whether the issue you're facing is specific to your connection or part of a broader outage affecting a particular online service. This tool can prevent you from troubleshooting your internet connection unnecessarily when the problem is external to your network.
When Should You Use DownDetector?
There are common situations where using DownDetector might come in handy:
- Inconsistent Access to Specific Websites or Services: If you can access some websites or services normally, but consistently face issues with a particular one, it might indicate a problem with that specific service rather than your internet connection.
- Widespread Complaints on Social Media: Sometimes, issues with online services become trending topics on social media platforms. If you notice multiple people complaining about the same service, it's a good time to check DownDetector.
- Streaming Service Interruptions: If you are experiencing interruptions, lag, or a complete loss of service while using a streaming platform such as Netflix, Hulu, or Amazon Prime Video, despite other internet functions working normally, DownDetector can help determine if it's a service-wide issue.
How to Use DownDetector?
Step 1: Visit DownDetector's website by clicking on the link provided on our support page or typing "www.downdetector.com" into your web browser.
Step 2: Use the "Search" bar at the top of the page to find the service you're having trouble with. For instance, if you're unable to load Facebook, type "Facebook" into the search bar.
Step 3: Review the DownDetector page for the service you searched for. You will see a live outage map, a graph showing recent outage reports, and a comment section where users share specific issues.
Interpreting DownDetector's Information
When interpreting DownDetector's information, here is the priority order you should follow:
- Report Graph: The most reliable source of information on DownDetector is the report graph. This graph displays the number of outage reports over time. A sudden spike could indicate that the service is currently experiencing issues.
- Live Outage Map: Following the report graph, the live outage map shows the geographical areas where users have reported the highest number of issues. If you see a dense concentration of outage reports in your area, it is likely that the problem is with the service itself rather than your connection.
- Comments: Finally, the comments section provides real-time updates from users. However, this information should be used sparingly, as it may include outdated reports or comments from users who have previously experienced issues.
DownDetector can be a valuable tool for diagnosing whether an issue lies with your internet service or a specific online service. By preventing unnecessary troubleshooting of your internet connection when the problem is with an external service, you can save both time and energy. If your issue is with your internet service, our dedicated support team is ready to assist you. Please visit our support page at TOAST.net/support for further assistance and resources.
Note: DownDetector is a third-party tool, and we are not responsible for any discrepancies in its data. Always cross-check the information and consult our customer service team when in doubt.